[OTR-users] New SIP client with OTR functionality (Blink)

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Fri Sep 13 22:21:10 EDT 2013

On Sep 13, 2013, at 11:00 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> Signed PGP part
> On 9/13/13 10:49 AM, Adrian Georgescu wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 13, 2013, at 1:06 PM, Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca>
> > wrote:

> >> Added.  The wiki says:
> >>
> >> Interoperability
> >>
> >> We are not aware of any other SIP/MSRP client implementation
> >> that supports OTR encryption today.
> >>
> >> Is Jitsi not one?
> >

> > IETF SIMPLE Working Group standard mechanism for transporting
> > sessions of messages initiated using SIP is MSRP protocol
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4975
> >
> > Jitsi does not implement MSRP.
>
> Well, there's also pager-mode messaging in SIP -- is that not
> compatible with OTR? I'm not a SIP expert, so I don't know. :-)

Well, I am SIP expert and I don't know either how well SIP Message method would work with OTR. SIP Message method (the so called pager mode) has many technical limitations, which have probably caused its lack of adoption and the reasons MSRP protocol was later invented. We have not used SIP Message it in our implementation, we use chat sessions based on MSRP protocol as per SIP SIMPLE WG recommendation. MSRP is a reliable way to exchange chat messages, wheres SIP message method is not. Given that SIP message method is completely unreliable in itself, I am wondering what would be the benefit of trying to use OTR on top of it.

Adrian