[OTR-users] Pretty-please standardize OTR signature storage, per OS.

subharo at hushmail.com subharo at hushmail.com
Fri Sep 6 13:21:11 EDT 2013

Hello,

I agree with Greg Grossmeier in his post called "OTR apps using
keyrings/wallets?", posted Sun Jul 21 00:35:00 EDT 2013:
http://lists.cypherpunks.ca/pipermail/otr-users/2013-
July/002225.html

Greg, I think the problem is even bigger than how you state it.

I've been trying a few different OTR-aware IM clients: Jitsi,
Pidgin, and Gajim.  Each program is unware of the other's use of
OTR, and any OTR signatures it's already managing.  Each program
will gladly generate a unique OTR fingerprint for a given XMPP
account.  Then when I talk to a contact from each different IM
client, the contact sees 3 different OTR signatures, which of
course looks highly suspicious like they're being "attacked" by
someone else masquerading as me.  This isn't just messy data
management, it's a downright *security vulnerability false
positive* waiting to happen.  Newcomers to OTR are going to get
frustrated over this FAST!  Please don't allow this to scare them
away.

What if the OTR project had a published *Standard*, saying where
and how OTR keys should be stored (including filesystem permissions
that should apply), for every OS where OTR is currently in use (and
there aren't that many of them).  Then the likes of Jitsi, Pidgin,
and Gagim could all refer to that one standardized, known folder in
common (silently creating it if necessary).

GnuPG already does something like this, and *it works*.  On Unix
systems, for example, Keyrings are stored in ~/.gnupg.  The
filesystem permissions are such that this folder and files inside
have no read, write, or executable permissions for those other than
the user who owns them.  Then frontends such as Enigmail, Seahorse,
and APG all know to refer to ~/.gnupg.  The end user is not hassled
to do any "converting" of the keyrings.  It's just a folder, so
it's also easy to back up and restore.  It's simple, elegant and
effective.  Why not follow suit?

So in summary, Greg, I agree with you, however I think the OTR
project should publish a Standard, and not write another piece of
software to perform "conversions".  Based upon this Standard, it
should then be up to each IM client supporting OTR to conform to
the Standard, and not keep re-inventing the wheel for themselves.

When Samuel Carlisle replied back to Greg, pointing to the
"otrfileconverter" project (which seems to *only* outputs to
Gibberbot format), I call that a *problem*, not a *solution*.  It's
a big problem that each and every IM client will eventually all
need to invent their own conversion utility, and then try to keep
up to date with how to convert between all the different IM client
storage methods.  As the number of IM clients supporting OTR
increases, there will be an ever-expanding need for more conversion
tools, and for more IM clients to be supported within each
conversion tool.

Cypherpunks, pretty please nip this in the bud, and please fix this
problem upstream.  You guys *are* the upstream.

Even a one-page document/web-page would probably be enough.  How's
this for a start?

Unix: ~/.config/otr
Windows: %APPDATA%\OTR
OS/X: ~/.config/otr