[OTR-users] OTR mentioned in Snowden documents?

Mike Minor mike at firstworldproblems.com
Fri Sep 6 09:37:23 EDT 2013

In yesterday's NYTimes article on the NSA's decrypting of Internet traffic:
  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/us/nsa-foils-much-internet-encryption.html

a graphic summary created by the NYTimes (not pulled from Snowden documents):
  http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/09/05/us/unlocking-private-communications.html

contains the following text:

"Unlocking Private Communications - Below are encryption tools the N.S.A. has had some success in cracking, according to documents provided by Edward J. Snowden describing the agency's code-breaking capabilities."

"Encrypted chat - Available with chat programs like Adium or with software added to programs like AOL Instant Messenger, providing 'end to end' encryption, in which the data cannot be decrypted at any point along the transfer (even by the messaging service)."

From what I've read, it does not appear the NSA has made any significant break throughs in decrypting strong crypto.  However, they have made great strides in weakening the application of crypto to the point that decryption is effortless.

If the NSA is claiming they can decrypt OTR, what possible attack vectors do the readers of this mailing list suppose could be viable targets?  Our OS? Our RNG's? Our CPU's?

Somewhere along the application of OTR, it appears we are making assumptions of our systems' environment that are not valid.

Thoughts?