[OTR-users] Visible Metadata?

Adam Zimmerman adam at digitalpirate.ca
Wed Sep 4 10:37:45 EDT 2013

On 13-09-04 05:31 AM, Robert Pollak wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am new to OTR messaging, and I have got a question:
>
> Do I understand correctly that the use of OTR messaging does not hide
> (e.g. from the NSA or other network sniffers :) the fact that some
> encrypted communication has taken place between two visible IP
> adresses?
>
> (So far, It have found Bitmessage as the only approach to hide this
> metadata, but OTOH there is no forward secrecy with Bitmessage.)

As others have said, OTR on its own doesn't hide the fact that you're
talking to a certain person over IM. However, you might be able to run
your IM connection over Tor or some other anonymity system. An attacker
won't be able to see where you're connecting to. You could push this
even further, and have the server only accessible as a hidden service
(your contact would also need to be using Tor, obviously).

Assuming your account isn't linked to your identity (and your IM client
doesn't leak your IP address, and your attacker can't see the whole Tor
network, etc.), this should provide you with a fair bit of anonymity for
your IM conversations.

- Adam