[OTR-users] The effectiveness of deniability

Ximin Luo infinity0 at gmx.com
Thu Dec 5 20:26:22 EST 2013

On 05/12/13 23:17, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Fri 2013-11-29 12:59:56 -0500, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> On 29/11/13 16:55, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>>>   https://www.calyxinstitute.org/events/multiparty-otr-and-deniability
>>
>> Unfortunately I'm nowhere nearby, but would be interested in any materials you guys might release afterwards!
>
> Here's my writeup of the meeting:
>
>   https://www.debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/104
>

> To be clear, this kind of deniability means Alice can correctly say "you have no cryptographic proof I said X", but it does not let her assert "here is cryptographic proof that I did not say X" (I can't think of any protocol that offers the latter assertion).

I can add a third form of "deniability" (or "repudiability", to match the terminology for signatures). From the strongest to the weakest, these are:

1. "I strongly prove the negative" - I can strongly prove that I did not say X, what you mentioned. Intuitively, this seems impossible.
2. "I strongly negate any proof" - any proof (strong or weak) is hard to find/construct (similar to what steganography does). This would include all sorts of metadata, such as how I send the data, the timing of me sending the data, who I send it to, who it appears to come from, and probably many more things I can't think of right now.
3. "I negate any strong proof" - no strong proof exists, what OTR provides.

(3) is what OTR provides, (1) is what you said, but (2) I think might theoretically be possible, albeit costly - e.g. by running over Tor, using short-lived identities, etc. I don't know of any technology that does this, but it is a much easier goal than (1).

--
GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git