[OTR-users] OTR between 2 Macs over LAN

otruser.ttl at recursor.net otruser.ttl at recursor.net
Wed Aug 7 12:09:24 EDT 2013

I have been trying to get OTR working between 2 Macs over LAN connection. Not successful. Tried both Adium and Jitsi.

These machines can establish OTR encrypted connection using remote XMPP login, even when they both are on the LAN. But using the direct LAN connection, not working.

On Adium, this uses Bonjour. On Jitsi, this uses "serverless SIP" connection.

The connections are made OK, but all chats are unencrypted. It appear there isn't a way to exchange or verify fingerprint. Both applications allow me to make a fingerprint for the local or serverless account, but I cannot verify at the other side.

When we try to initiate OTR encrypted chat over LAN on Jitsi (serverless SIP), the first Mac sends a message "?OTRv2?" to the second Mac, but nothing more happens.

Can anyone please suggest a way?

Thank you!