[OTR-users] Smartcard support?

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Sep 28 16:18:14 EDT 2012

Pete Stephenson:
> Hi all,
>
> Quick question: are there any plans for OTR to support keys stored on
> smartcards?
>
> I like the idea of storing keys securely (with offline backups,
> naturally) on smartcards to prevent their being abused even in the event
> of a system compromise and I have my PGP and S/MIME certs on such cards.
> It'd be nice to also have OTR keys stored on smartcards.

I have one of the GnuPG smart cards made by g10 - it seems to me that an
OTR DSA key could be added to the authentication key slot.

The main issue is how we'd interface with the smart card from libotr or
pidgin-otr. Does GnuPG offer some kind of abstraction interface for
third party applications? If so, I think it would be a fantastic idea to
try to to make this happen.

All the best,
Jacob