[OTR-users] Can't enable logging with 4.0.0

Karen Trudeau karen.trudeau at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 11:26:35 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
>> I don't know what the developers decided to do after a discussion
>> about this on the list a while ago, but for this new version with OTR
>> active you must override the default no logging policy on each and
>> every occasion you use it.

I don't think that's the intended behavior, as the release notes for
OTR 4.0.0 specifically say "When a private conversation begins, the
plugin will indicate whether Pidgin is configured to log the
conversation."  Instead what happens is that it ignores the
configuration setting, disables the log, and always says the
conversation is not being logged.

> I also assume you can turn this off in the plugin settings if you want
> to, but of course with the knowledge that it could frustrate the aims
> of the OTR plugin by doing so.

One would think so, but as I said the "Don't log OTR conversations"
checkbox in the OTR plugin configuration is reset to "checked" every
time Pidgin is restarted (and is completely ignored if it is changed
while Pidigin is running).  When I reinstalled 3.2.1, even though the
checkbox appeared to be "checked" in 4.0.0, it went back to unchecked
in 3.2.1--which would indicate that 4.0.0 is neither reading nor
saving the actual setting in the configuration file.

Karen