[OTR-users] libotr/pidgin-otr 4.0.0 "beta2" release and win32 build

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Jun 23 20:11:20 EDT 2012

Paul Wouters <paul at cypherpunks.ca> writes:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>
>> I'd like to suggest that you take the gcc/compiler hardening code from
>> Tor's autoconf - I think you need it on by default and it's rather well
>> tested now for all of the major platforms:
>>
>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/blob/f96f319b9e9fba5ff52eba2daec2247080f268ee:/configure.in#l557
>
> Distro's have their own configs to set CFLAGS related options. Be
> careful with interfering with those.

Speaking as the pkgsrc maintainer for otr, I would be happy to see
configure add in heavy -Werror etc. as long as configure is sure to do
that for gcc or other recognized compilers, and doesn't misbehave if the
compiler happens to be clang or something else (which probably needs
different extra options).  I believe the autoconf norm is to recognize
gcc and then add options, and if so that's totally fine.