[OTR-users] Facebook blocking OTR

ix4svs at gmail.com ix4svs at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 06:45:39 EDT 2012

On 12 April 2012 20:19, Ananda Samaddar <asamaddar at myopera.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:33:44 -0400
> Nathan of Guardian <nathan at guardianproject.info> wrote:
>
>> Just to be clear, you need the person on the other end to also be
>> using Pidgin, Adium, Gibberbot, ChatSecure, etc, or some other OTR
>> enabled app.
>>
>> I've used OTR extensively on Facebook, so I don't think they are
>> blocking it, and if so, it would be a pretty big deal.
>>
>> +n
>
> Yes I know.  I'm more than willing to give someone my Facebook url off
> list if they want to try and get it going.  I don't think Facebook
> blocking OTR would be a big deal.  Most people wouldn't know or care.
> They already block Piratebay links (as does MSN messenger).

I'm willing to investigate this further - if there's anyone on the
list willing to use their FB account to try to establish an OTR
private session with me, let me know off-list.

FB blocking OTR would be an important fact, if established: "no
reasonable expectation of privacy" and "enforced surveillance" are two
quite different cups of tea.

Alexandros