[OTR-users] help.

Kat Hanna kat at paip.net
Thu Mar 10 17:05:17 EST 2011

Hi Kate,

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Katharine Krauss wrote:
> I'm new here. Really new. The typical question on this list is labeled
> something like this:  Request: Pidgin plugin should request refresh if
> other user offline
>
> Here's my question: Which version of the software should I download
> and install? Because I've read everything pretty carefully and I still
> have no idea.

It depends on your operating system and IM client.

If you are using Windows, the easiest thing is to download and install
pidgin (http://www.pidgin.im/download/), which is an IM client that
works on most IM networks. Then download and install the OTR plugin
(http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/ just above the News section). Each of
these installations should just require you to run the installer.

To enable OTR, start pidgin and open your Buddy List. Go to Tools >
Plugins. In the Plugins dialog check Off-the-Record Messaging and click
Close.

Help on setting up pidgin, adding IM accounts, etc is at
http://www.pidgin.im/support/.

If you are using Mac OS X, the easiest thing is to download and install
Adium (http://adium.im/). OTR is built into Adium, so you don't need a
plugin.

Adium help is at http://adium.im/help/.

If you are using Linux, it will depend on your distribution.

> Is there something else I should read? I read the FAQ and it looks a
> lot like the Pidgin plugin situation. Could someone talk me through it
> by phone or, you know, Skype?

Let me know how you do with the info above. If you still need help, I
can make time on Saturady for a phone call.

> I'm learning to use this software so I can teach it to a group of
> people who really need it. And yes, they are stuck with me.
>
> Kate
>
> ps: Thanks for writing this software, whoever you are.

Good luck!

  -Kat