[OTR-users] OTR Proxy vs AIM 7 ?

Nelson B Bolyard nelson at bolyard.me
Mon Jan 10 00:35:46 EST 2011

On 2011-01-09 14:12 PDT, Ian Goldberg wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 01:29:34PM -0800, Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
>> I'm trying to get OTR Proxy to work with AIM 7 on WinXP SP3.  No Joy.
>> OTR starts OK and displays its window.  It's bound to the expected ports.
>> I've configured AIM7 to use http/https proxy on port 8080.  When I attempt
>> to login, it first says "connecting", then "configuring", then "Connection
>> error. Please try signing on again. Try Auto Configure or change your
>> settings manually."  It never succeeds with the proxy, but
>> never fails without the proxy.  I'm looking for help.
>>
>> Here's a capture of the connections between the AIM client and the proxy.
>> Hopefully someone on this list can compare this with the expected behavior.
>>
>> I notice that the client always closes the connection after one
>> request/response pair, even when the client has requested keep-alive.
>>
>> Connections 5, 6 and 7 appear to be a repeat of connections 2, 3, and 4,
>> except that in connection 7, the client drops the connection after sending
>> the request, before the server answers.
>>
>> Any ideas what's wrong?
>
> First of all, thanks for the great report with data dumps!
>
> Unfortunately, there's no one working on otrproxy at the moment.  I'm
> not even sure I could compile it any more.  :-(  Right now, we're
> working on libotr, the pidgin plugin, and java-otr.
>
> The best I can offer at this time, I'm afraid, is, "if you'd like to
> figure out what's going on an send in a patch, I'd be happy to apply
> it".
>
> Sorry,
>
>    - Ian

I'd like to ask a few more questions.

- Are there any users on this list successfully using otrproxy with AIM7
on Windows?  (If so, please speak up.)

- If so, Do those users know of any tricks needed to make it work?

- If not, then perhaps the login protocol has changed for AIM7, and the
other AIM-compatible clients are all emulating an older AIM version,
such as AIM6, AIM5, or even AIM4.  Where is the right forum to discuss the
AIM login protocol details.  otr-dev?  elsewhere?

--
/Nelson Bolyard