[OTR-users] OTR Pidgin 2.7.11 error: Attempting to start a private conversation with 276xxxxxx...

theanswer xrayspecscu at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 16:44:24 EDT 2011

OTR worked fine in Pidgin 2.7.11 in Win32 XP SP3, until immediately after I set up Trillian Astra on the same computer with OTR plugin.  In Trillian, OTR automatically tries to connect on opening, and I had the same ICQ buddy in it as in Pidgin.  It tried to connect, and I closed Trillian after realizing it was trying to create a fingerprint with the ICQ buddy for Trillian while he was offline.  I removed the plugin from Trillian, closed it.  Next time I tried to use Pidgin with OTR, the message:  Attempting to start a private conversation with 276xxxxxx...  is all I got, and my buddy gets an error message.
    Thus far I have removed/reg keys/files/start menu/account info/.purple folder;  re-installed Pidgin 2.7.11 and OTR (fresh copy)/generated new key.  And still get:  Attempting to start a private conversation with 276xxxxxx...
    The above was done only after deleting the fingerprint for the ICQ account didn't solve the problem, nor did deleting and generating a new private key.
    I have also searched for system drivers (found none) and remnants of GTK+.  What is the solution for this?
    I know only one person with whom to try OTR (and it doesn't work with him), but I'm willing to give this a try with someone who may be willing to test it with me.  My buddy is using Gentoo and Pidgin 2.7.11.
    I have tried all I can think of.  Any suggestions very appreciated.
                                                                             -  theanswer