[OTR-users] "Your message was not sent"

Andy Rossmeissl otr at brighterplanet.com
Tue Sep 21 15:47:32 EDT 2010

Hello,

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed on the list.

Let's say I'm having a private conversation with a friend via Pidgin. He
quits his IM client. I receive a message saying that he "has ended
his/her private conversation with you; you should do the same." Later,
he restarts his IM client and I attempt to send him a message. My
message is discarded and in it's place I find an error message: "Your
message was not sent.  Either end your private conversation, or restart
it." At this point I have to grab my mouse, head up to the OTR menu,
restart the private conversation, recall my unsent message (luckily
Pidgin remembers it), and re-send.

This happens to me I don't know how many times per day. A very large
number of Adium users have reported the issue at [1], and a bug was
opened with Pidgin [2], but the buck tossed immediately to OTR.

The problem is that the conversation state is stuck in limbo. Either of
these alternatives is preferable:

a) When my friend quits his IM client, thereby ending our private
conversation, my client should automatically end it on my end as well, or

b) when I send my message after he has restarted his client, my client
should recognize the privacy-state mismatch, attempt to restart the
private conversation, and send the message only at that point.

I recognize the risk in option (a): Having missed the notice about the
private conversation ending, I could inadvertently send a sensitive
message to my friend in cleartext.

I don't see the risk in option (b). Of all the times you folks have
received this error, after how many of them did you *not* fumble around
for the "restart private conversation" command?

Unfortunately I'm not a C developer, so I regret not being able to
contribute a patch. But I would certainly contribute to a bounty for a
fix to this.

Best,
Andy

[1] http://trac.adium.im/ticket/6742