[OTR-users] (mp)OTR beyond IM?

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Sep 7 08:05:03 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 10:32:20PM -0400, Mansour Moufid wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Has anyone else thought about applying mpOTR to microblogging services
> like StatusNet or Twitter?
>
> Some people like to have two accounts on Twitter, for example: one
> public, one "private". If one could piggyback on existing social media
> using mpOTR (and maybe ideas from TextSecure), there could be actual
> privacy in those services. Message 'access control' (e.g. "A,B,C can
> read this message but not D") could be emulated by thinking of
> different, perhaps overlapping, social circles as participants in
> ongoing "conversations"...
>
> I'm not familiar with mpOTR, but given the demand for privacy in
> social media (Diaspora), it might be a promising idea. What does
> everyone think, would it be possible?

There are a couple of projects on putting access control on things like
Facebook wall posts, which is similar.  (FlyByNight, FaceCloak, etc.)  I
think the UI for controlling who gets to see what would be the critical
part here.  I seem to recall that that the project presented at HotPETs
2009 [1] had some kind of slick way to learn groups/filters.

   - Ian

[1] http://www.cosic.esat.kuleuven.be/publications/article-1240.pdf