[OTR-users] messages sent in Finished state get lost

Tom Metro tmetro+otr-users at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 20:50:28 EST 2010

Mansour Moufid wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> and your message goes into a black hole. It isn't logged.
>
> Messages are "logged" by Pidgin in the sense that Ctrl+Up/Down will
> scroll through the messages you've previously typed (sent or not). So
> perhaps: simply wait for the other end to log on again, then Ctrl+Up,
> Enter?

Oh, look at that, it does. Neat. I never knew that feature existed.

Still, it isn't exactly user friendly.

> By the way, I don't think Pidgin protects these from being written to
> swap?..

I'd expect not. I have messages logged to disk anyway, so I expect my IM
client to leak plaintext in the local environment.

>> At minimum, if the message can't be sent due to the security state, OTR
>> should leave the message in the input box and display a dialog warning
>> the user why the message can't be sent.
>
> Pidgin behaves exactly like this for XMPP ("XMPP message error" pop-up
> window with Code 503 and the original message in a text box). I don't
> know about other protocols.

I was using XMPP w/OTR. Pidgin may do that, but OTR doesn't. What was
your point? That OTR should as well, or that OTR doesn't need to because
Pidgin takes care of it?

The MSN driver seems to handle errors by logging them in the received
message pane.

 -Tom