[OTR-users] messages sent in Finished state get lost

Tom Metro tmetro+otr-users at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 18:20:19 EST 2010

I'm using OTR 3.2.0 with Pidgin 2.6.6 on Linux. I see the documentation
says:

  Finished

  Alice was talking to Bob using OTR, but Bob has decided to stop using
  it.  In this level, Alice is prevented from accidentally sending a
  private message without protection, by preventing her from sending any
  further messages to Bob at all.  She must explicitly either end her
  side of the private conversation, or else start a new one.

That makes sense, expect there seems to be one significant flaw in the
implementation. When you are in the Finished state and you do try and
send something, you get back:

  Your message was not sent.  Either end your private conversation, or
  restart it.

and your message goes into a black hole. It isn't logged. It doesn't
stay in the input box. It just disappears without a trace.

This is essentially a data loss bug.

I've been bitten by this numerous times and it's annoying. Enough so
that I'll have to turn off OTR and only use it under special circumstances.

At minimum, if the message can't be sent due to the security state, OTR
should leave the message in the input box and display a dialog warning
the user why the message can't be sent.

Ideally, once I have put OTR into private state, I shouldn't have to
think about it again. If the other party has disconnected (I often send
messages to people when they are offline, and Pidgin queues the message
for transmission), then it should be OTR's responsibility to
re-establish a secure connection when that party comes back online. Only
if it can't accomplish that should it notify me, and it should do so in
a way that preserves my message so I have something to cut-and-paste if
I wish to resend.

Is there someplace I can file a bug for this and track its progress?

 -Tom