[OTR-users] Avoiding OTR Error Messages in Second Life

Roy McCoy roymccoy.nl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 13:11:50 EST 2010

This is probably a common question here and I apologize for not first
looking for an answer elsewhere, for example in the message archive
here if there is one (the welcome message doesn't mention it); but the
Second Life (SL) "What is OTR? menu item sent me to the OTR page at
cypherpunks.ca and it referred me here, so here goes.

I've been getting incomprehensible-to-me messages in IM windows in SL:
"OTR Error: You sent encrypted data to [name of recipient], who wasn't
expecting it", "NOT encrypted:", maybe one or two others. These are
generally littering my IM windows, I'd like to get rid of them, and
they may be indicating some real problem as well. Specifically,
somebody just told me today he couldn't IM me, while the only thing I
think I changed regarding him was to unclick the box to let someone
see or not when you're online. I didn't see what exactly the problem
was, or what the solution was, but it does now seem that the OTR
messages have something to do with my not letting people see when I'm
online. Does anyone know of a way to get around this, so that I can
continue not to let people see when I'm online, and still not get the
cluttering alerts about OTR, encryption, etc.?

Thanks,

Roy