[OTR-users] libtool: undefined symbols not allowed in i686-pc-mingw32 shared

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Fri Mar 12 08:09:14 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 12:01:53PM +0000, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am pretty new to OTR and somehow oblivious to the mingw building processes
> but I try to tackle both with my UNIX experience.
>
> I am trying to build libotr to supplement my win32 psi-0.14 installation
> with the OTR functionality.
>
> I am using msys/mingw to build libotr, having successfully installed
> libgpg-error and libgcrypt and friends. Msys and mingw are the newest
> ones from the mingw sf site, supplemented by gcc 4.4.0 as required
> by Qt development stack.
>
> However, regardless of the --enable-shared, the build process
> creates only static libotr.a library, and no DLL.
> In fact, the error message on the way is:

This is the configure line I use to build it:

./configure --with-pic --build=`./config.guess` --host=i586-mingw32msvc \
        --prefix=/usr/i586-mingw32msvc

But I must admit that that's with a somewhat old version of mingw.
Things might have changed.  (It's also on a 32-bit system.)

> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -g -O2   -o libotr.la -rpath /mingw/lib -version-info 4:0:2  -L/usr/local/lib -lgcrypt -lgpg-error privkey.lo context.lo proto.lo b64.lo dh.lo mem.lo message.lo userstate.lo tlv.lo auth.lo sm.lo
> libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in i686-pc-mingw32 shared libraries

The suspicious thing here is that I'm pretty sure there shouldn't *be*
any undefined symbols.  Can you see what "U" lines nm outputs?

Thanks,

   - Ian

PS: This should probably be on otr-dev, not otr-users.  But whatever.  ;-)