[OTR-users] otr4j: OTR java library

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Sep 29 18:28:13 EDT 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Paul Wouters wrote:

> http://code.google.com/p/otr4j/
> http://otr4sipcomm.blogspot.com/
>
> otr4j is an implementation of the OTR (Off The Record) protocol in java.

I should have added: http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2009/09/sip-communicators-summer-of-code.html

George Politis from Greece worked on extending SIP Communicator with
Off The Record (OTR) message encryption. OTR provides encryption,
authentication, deniability, and strong forward secrecy. Until now
SIP Communicator did not have any text message encryption and our
chats were often unprotected. George started with the implementation
of our own Open Source native java OTR library, which can also
be used in other projects. George also implemented all the message
transformation functionalities and the GUI necessary for us to integrate
OTR support in SIP Communicator. It is already implemented in many of
the other popular instant messengers such as Kopete, Pidgin, Adium,
mICQ, Miranda, and Trillian. SIP Communicator is now able to carry out
encrypted communications with other SIP Communicator clients and the
aforementioned messengers.

George's implementation has already been integrated in our source trunk
and George has achieved committer status for SIP Communicator with a
strong approval of our community.