[OTR-users] Support for Telepathy/Empathy

Jonathan Schleifer js-otrim at webkeks.org
Tue Sep 15 10:38:51 EDT 2009

Paul Wouters <paul at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:

> They
> basically only do jabber and ssl, and have absolutely no clue
> whatsoever what it means to have secure communication without digital
> signatures and plausible deniability.

I guess they are planning to implement XTLS which is the
Jabber-equivalent to OTR, but done without hacks.

> The whole point with OTR is being protocol-agnostic. It's not
> something they can think about. They're too deep down in their RFC's
> and jabber code to realise jabber is about 1% of the IM community out
> there in real life, and so a "protocol hack" like OTR is the only
> thing that is going to work to talk to your real life friends and
> family that are not CS PHD students.

Yeah, like non CS PHD students care about cryptography ;). I guess more
users care about using Jabber than about using cryptography for their
instant messages.

Let's face it: OTR is designed for legacy networks, this is why it
doesn't get much love from the Jabber community. And honestly, it
really is a PITA for Jabber, as it does things like HTML messages in
the body whereas there is XHTML-IM for that.

--
Jonathan