[OTR-users] Support for Telepathy/Empathy

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 17:41:15 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 02:10:40AM +0200, Hajo E. wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I would like to ask if there are any plans or thoughts of implementing OTR
>> into Telepathy [1]. A ticket [2] in the freedesktop bugzilla about this
>> alreday exists.
>
> We (the core OTR dev team) work on the library, and we can give
> assistance to people using the library to add OTR support to their IM
> applications.  But we don't have the resources to do the application
> support ourselves, unfortunately.
>
> Someone from the Telepathy team would need to take the lead on this.

FYI— The next revision of Fedora is pushing users to Empathy rather
than pidgin. I believe ubuntu is doing this as well.

The Empathy developers describe OTR as "Broken by design" because it
is not protocol integrated and mock the people who request it:
http://resiak.livejournal.com/60614.html  So it seems that OTR support
is never going to happen there.

I'm pretty disappointed: Today 100% of my IM contacts have OTR
(primarily Mac users using Adium), and this required very little
prodding from me.  Soon this won't be true any more and I think thats
really unfortunate.