[OTR-users] non-ASCII characters

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Mar 18 17:33:43 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:15:48PM +0100, Carlchristian Eckert wrote:

> Hi there,
> I'm from Germany and just started to use otr. My friend and I found out
> quite soon that characters like ä, ö, ü, Ä, Ö, Ü and ß were not
> supported in PrivateConnections.
> Example: When I type something like "fooÄbar", my friend recieves just
> "foo".
> Is there any bugfix available or something that would work anyway? (its
> not easy to check every single message before sending it)

What OS and software are each of you using?  Non-ASCII characters work
properly in Pidgin with OTR for sure, and they at least used to for
OTRProxy (though it's possible it doesn't work with some specific IM
clients we didn't test).

There are certainly lots of German OTR users, who presumably don't run
into this problem.