[OTR-users] my own messages appear encrypted

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Dec 28 22:53:31 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 09:34:18PM -0500, Tim Smedly wrote:
> Hi, while chatting with my buddy in an unverified conversation, my own
> messages appear encrypted: I can't read them. It's a major hindrance.
> (My buddy's messages appear normal.) Can anyone help me out with this?

Some other plugins (like Message Splitter, I think) interact badly with
encryption plugins, with precisely this effect -- they show you what
gets sent over the wire, whereas pidgin goes through some trouble to
ensure that plugins can make a distinction between what's sent over the
network and what's displayed to the user.  Encryption plugins rely on
this feature, of course, but some other plugins neglect the difference.