[OTR-users] Using OTR clients for visually impaired users?

Mike Wirth mwirth at adobe.com
Tue May 27 18:45:33 EDT 2008

Folks,

I work with several visually impaired engineers here at Adobe Systems (on
ways to make Acrobat PDF files more accessible to the blind, of course).  We
have an internal Jabber server, which is normally used for work-related IM
traffic, and which is also available when offsite (over VPN).  But of the
known IM clients, the only one which is accessible to blind users (via
screen reader software, e.g., JAWS on Windows) is AIM.

One solution for us to communicate might be to use AOL IM accounts.  But
this exposes work-related traffic to the open Internet.  Therefore, I¹d like
to use OTR to encrypt the AIM traffic to and from the AIM server.

Additional complications:
* I¹m typically running Adium on a Mac at my end which shouldn¹t be an issue
for OTR and which allows me to talk to people on the internal Jabber server,
as well as AOL IM, simultaneously.
* Both I and the blind user may be remote, i.e., connected via VPN, which
may complicate the proxy configuration.

My questions:
1. Is there a Jabber client which is ³accessible² (i.e., usable via a screen
reader)?  If so, this would be the simplest solution.
2. If not, and we have to use AIM, what¹s the appropriate OTR setup?
Something like:

<blind user>---<JAWS on a Windows machine, running AIM>---<OTR/SOCKS
proxy>---<VPN>---<local net connection>---.....

{Internet}...----<AIM server>---...{Internet}...<local net
connection>---<VPN>---<Mac, running Adium with OTR>---<me>

Any advice would be appreciated,

Mike Wirth