[otr-users] Pidgin plugin sends and parses HTML

Scott Ellis mail at scottellis.com.au
Mon May 12 19:57:36 EDT 2008

> I'm astonished that you're lecturing the developers about the treatment
> of (spit!) HTML when you can't even be bothered to write Pidgin
> correctly.

It's called a 'pun'.

> Frankly, I care not a single whit what happens with HTML, and I don't
> see why anyone should put any effort into its handling until everything
> else works properly.

Complaints about HTML handling are easily the most common problem reported
by users of my OTR plugin - even though it does follow everyone's
interpretation of the spec depending on the other plugins in use. If you're
using a messenger that handles HTML natively then you may well not care - it
won't affect you. But there are a lot of people out there whom it does
affect, and in many ways this is the single biggest problem with using and
supporting the OTR library.

What is this 'everything else' that you're referring to? The other serious
problem in my mind is the need for a 'i'm going offline now' message,
another feature of the OTR protocol - as I mentioned earlier this just isn't
possible with Miranda's plugin API, and there are a bunch of other reasons
why it's a very bad idea...but that's another story