[otr-users] Pidgin plugin sends and parses HTML

Rüdiger Kuhlmann l-otr.0705+23jv-l at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Mon May 12 14:20:13 EDT 2008

Hi Paul,

>--[Paul Wouters]--<paul at cypherpunks.ca>
> On Mon, 12 May 2008, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> > agree that this is the best way (which is what I do - putting plain text
> > (encrypted) in the body, and no html tag, and rejecting all messages with
> > html = plaintext and < in it).
> "Be liberal in what to expect, be strict in what to send".
> Don't start rejecting messages based on html. what if I send a plaintext
> message with "you need to use the <tr> tag for that"......

I do reject messages that claim that text/plain == text/html when they
obviously can't as they're clearly broken and cannot be assigned a
well-defined meaning. And while I'd like to be more literal in what I
accept, it wouldn't do anything to solve the problem of Pitchin's (and
Trillian's) broken OTR implementation - if I can't reach anyone with
arguments (nobody has yet said anything insightful about it from the libOTR
or Pitchin people), I just have to make sure it pops up as their problem, or
they'll just ignore it.

So let me ask you: will you clarify the OTR spec to make sure it
won't pack encrypted HTML into a plain text field and fix the
Pitchin OTR plugin accordingly, OR will you continue to ignore
(or argue away) the problem?

PS. Please respect the Mail-Followup-To:. I happen to read the
mailing lists that I write to, thank you.

--
"See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack
 each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction."