[otr-users] Pidgin plugin sends and parses HTML

Rüdiger Kuhlmann l-otr.0705+23jv-l at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Mon May 12 09:35:38 EDT 2008

>--[Jonathan Schleifer]--<js-otrim at webkeks.org>
> Rüdiger Kuhlmann <l-otr.0705+23jv-l at ruediger-kuhlmann.de> wrote:
> > The question is how to proceed without hampering the broken
> > interoperability of the OTR-wonnabe-protocol further. Maybe the best
> > idea would be to increase the version number and in the new version
> > make the protocol provide means to specify the type of data
> > (plain/text, a well-defined subset of HTML, whatever) and means to
> > determine the receiver's preferences. Anyone who doesn't agree?
> Yes, me.
> XMPP offers XHTML IM. You can just put the HTML code there and put
> plain-text in the message body. This way, Pidgin can use it damned HTML
> (seems it can't even work without it!) and those who don't understand
> XHTML IM get the plain message, like wanted.
> For ICQ, HTML should just NEVER be used as it doesn't support it, even
> in ICQ6.

Well, it was a try at getting the Pitchin people also on board. I certainly
agree that this is the best way (which is what I do - putting plain text
(encrypted) in the body, and no html tag, and rejecting all messages with
html = plaintext and < in it). The question is how to get the Pitchin and
Trillian people do the same. And that depends on how many pull how strong
into correct direction. Like: Who would spend time replacing libOTR by
a non-Gaim-specific library with a well thought-out interface? Who would
join in in rejecting garbage messages from Pitchin? Who would massage the
Pitchin guys with arguments until they try to make libOTR be what they
claim it already is, a generic encryption library?

--
"See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack
 each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction."