[otr-users] Pidgin plugin sends and parses HTML

Scott Ellis mail at scottellis.com.au
Sun May 11 23:20:05 EDT 2008

Actually there is a separate plugin available for Miranda (same author as
the OTR plugin - i.e. me) that will strip HTML from incoming messages - this
is to allow for OTR interoperability with those clients that do work
differently.

I had a similar discussion with the OTR authors about this as well, when I
first implemented my plugin. I was never given useless links - they
explained their position quite clearly. However I didn't and still don't
agree. To them, OTR is a protocol in it's own right, existing on top of
other IM protocols but having it's own rules. In the OTR spec it does say
that messages belonging to the OTR protocol may contain HTML. I would much
rather OTR be considered an extension to existing protocols, and have the
unencrypted messages follow the rules of the underlying protocol. One
motivation for this interpretation, I think, is that it may be more
difficult to achieve this in the pidgin architecture (i.e. the message to be
sent comes with HTML from the message window, goes via otr and then to the
protocol for sending - usually the proto will decide if it can send the HTML
but if OTR has encrypted the message that's not possible). With Miranda that
problem is easily solved, but other things are harder (i.e. sending an 'i'm
going offline now' message).

I don't think there's anything confusing to it - just a difference in
philosophy. My concern is that the decision to call OTR a 'protocol' is
motivated by convenience.

Scott

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Rüdiger Kuhlmann <
l-otr.0705+23jv-l at ruediger-kuhlmann.de<l-otr.0705%2B23jv-l at ruediger-kuhlmann.de>>