[OTR-users] Decrypt manually and externally

db db.netres at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 12:00:07 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:

> db wrote:
>  > All my OTR conversations sent through my gmail account is stored
>  > online at gmail, in encrypted form. Is it possible to manually decrypt
>  > these messages?
>
>  Unless there is access to the session key used in each case, no.
>
>  Of course, that's the whole point of the OTR plugin, that with an
>  ephemeral key any decryption of the ciphertext stream is equally plausible.

The keys doesn't change after verification, do they? Can I export the
keys from Pidgin and then decrypt the messages? If this is not
possible the whole purpose with storing your IM history online becomes
pointless.

Besides, I would like to have the same key on several machines (a mix
of Adium and Pidgin), can I export/import them somehow?