[OTR-users] Plugin for Windows Live Plus!

Jean-Baptiste Zeller esurnir at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 12:54:01 EDT 2008

Hello,

In my quest to convert my friends to the use of Off the Record I came to
the unfortunate conclusion that installing pidgin for them sound like
the end of the world, and while pidgin is a good program it's shortfall
like the absence of Webcam support, it's plain appearance compared to
the flashy windows live interface made it difficult for them to make the
switch...

But those same people for I would qualify "immature teenager reason"
don't mind to install Windows Live Plus! to do silly things like change
the messenger appearance put color code in their text and other and feed
whatever ad agency with precious data if they forgot during the
installation to opt out of the advertising program.

While at first programming off the record in JScript seemed borderly
heretic, I discovered that the script could include call to external
dlls library which could -just before sending a message- intercept it,
pass it over to a otr.dll library who could return the processed
message, leaving the encryption part to a dll and only leaving the UI to
be scripted.

I'm pretty certain that it would be one of the best solution yet to make
it easier for off the record to be adopted by the growing MSN user
population.

--
Jean-Baptiste Zeller