[OTR-users] OTR - conference rooms and key distribution

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Fri Feb 1 16:43:22 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 03:21:08PM +0100, Simon Loewenthal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	I use OTR with Pidgin (Gaim).  I have a few questions because I
> would like to suggest OTR and Gaim (or another messenger) for use across a
> company.
>
> i) How can I use OTR in chat rooms or conferences?

You can't (yet).  Currently, OTR is just for two-person private
conversations, but we're working on extending it.

> ii) Key distribution.  Can keys be loaded into OTR from another source, such
> as a file?  This way company keys can be distributed to all client computers
> with OTR instead of trusting the incoming key, which may not be legitimate.

There's no built-in tool for this, but the keys are stored in a simple
text file that you can easily copy around or add lines to.
(otr.fingerprints)

> iia) Are there any servers that can distribute the keys either push or pull
> to the client messenger s/w that has OTR installed?

You'd of course have to have the file of keys signed by a trusted entity
or something like that, if you're fetching it over the network.  But it
would work fine if you took care.