[OTR-users] Initiating OTR from an irssi client to pidgin

cognitive.libertarian+ml at gmail.com cognitive.libertarian+ml at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 17:28:35 EST 2008

* Uli M <a.sporto+bee at gmail.com> [2008-12-02 18:30]:

> The first message is indeed always plaintext. Usually, you'll just
> have to wait a few seconds after that until the OTR session
> starts. However, if no key exists then this first message will
> trigger key generation (check the status window) which takes some
> time and will also make another plaintext message neccessary.  Just
> wait till generation finishes, write another message and wait a few
> seconds. Then you should go secure.

It doesn't work.  I waited an hour, and my modern processor should not
take too long to generate a key.

> irssi-otr itself has no idea about ICQ stuff, that's made
> transparent by bitlbee. You'll have to use <irc-nick>@<irc-server>
> as accountname for generation, also see the README or "/otr help" or
> just let irssi-otr do the right thing.

I'm not quite clear on what to use for <irc-server>.  /server shows a
list of servers, one of which is "bitlbee". So I tried:

   /otr genkey <irc nick>@bitlbee

It generated a key, but I still cannot initiate an OTR session.
Although I expect a key to already exist, because OTR has worked the
other user initiates.

These are the versions:

irssi       0.8.10
bitlbee     1.0.3