[OTR-users] Decrypt manually and externally

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Thu Apr 3 03:50:17 EDT 2008

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:41:42 +0200
db <db.netres at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess long-lived keys is what I am looking for. My purpose with OTR
> is to prevent eavesdropping, not deniability. My local storage for the
> keys and the chat history is AES encrypted.
>
> Would it be possible to add an option (feature) to OTR to use a more
> PGP-like approach to the encryption?

Well you can still log when OTR is in use, the logged information is in
cleartext (which is why most users set logging off for OTR).

All you need is a script to encrypt your logs using gnupg, the details
of which is up to you I think. This is not OTR's job to worry about,
although possibly some hooks in Pidgin would be useful.

Just be aware that if you want to prevent eavesdropping, many
countries are enacting legislation to allow law enforcement to demand
decryption keys from you. If you insist on taking this path be aware
that you won't be able to protect your conversations against all
comers, so if you're organising a revolution.......

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."

GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html