[OTR-users] Pidgin OTR Button duplicates itself

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Sep 17 14:49:38 EDT 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Sven wrote:

> The browser adress fields turns yellow, if you use ssl encryption.
> Perhaps changing the background of the send field to a light yellow, is
> a good indication for a encrypted connection.

It is not. Because in a combined user window, you do not KNOW which
account will be used. Image you both have a AIM/MSN combi account,
and OTR on the AIM connectection. just as you're typing and hitting
return, the AIM connection fails, and the message goes out over MSN
instead, in plain text.

The user expects a guarantee. It is already bad enough now as it is,
since i have no idea which account is used for my typing, but at
least I can ensure that both accounts started an OTR session.

Paul