[OTR-users] Pidgin OTR Button duplicates itself

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Sun Sep 16 09:53:35 EDT 2007

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, 412MN wrote:

> I have some users in my contact list that are registered with multiple
> accounts (ICQ/XMPP) therefore I bundle them in the list. In a
> conversation window with these folks I get a menu item in the upper part
> of the window that says "Send to" and I can choose the person's account
> I want to talk to. Whenever I switch the accounts though, a second OTR
> button appears. Here's what I do to reproduce this:

It is a known issue with pidgin, and hard to solve, especially since pidgin
seems to randomly switch between combined user accounts.

> I'm not familiar with the code but I know a little about coding and my
> guess is there must be some routine in the plugin code that creates the
> button and fails to destroy the old one when a different account is
> chosen. Ideally the OTR-button linking to ICQ would be
> destroyed/replaced and an XMPP one created once the account is selected
> and vice versa.

It is more complex then that, since you are talking to one of the combined
user encrypted, and non-encrypted with the other half. So we can't just
close the "older' button.

Paul