[OTR-users] Pidgin OTR Button duplicates itself

412MN 412 at gmx.net
Fri Sep 14 19:34:27 EDT 2007

I have some users in my contact list that are registered with multiple
accounts (ICQ/XMPP) therefore I bundle them in the list. In a
conversation window with these folks I get a menu item in the upper part
of the window that says "Send to" and I can choose the person's account
I want to talk to. Whenever I switch the accounts though, a second OTR
button appears. Here's what I do to reproduce this:

Open a new conversation
ICQ Account is default, one OTR-button visible that tries to establish a
secure ICQ connection
I click on "Send to" and choose the XMPP account from the list
window is active in XMPP mode, two OTR-buttons visible, the first one on
the left still connects to ICQ the second and new one to XMPP

I'm not familiar with the code but I know a little about coding and my
guess is there must be some routine in the plugin code that creates the
button and fails to destroy the old one when a different account is
chosen. Ideally the OTR-button linking to ICQ would be
destroyed/replaced and an XMPP one created once the account is selected
and vice versa.

I use Pidgin 2.2.0, libotr 3.1.0 and pidgin-otr-3.1.0 (all compiled from
source) on a Ubuntu Feisty (7.04) machine in XFCE 4.4.0 with xfwm4

Best Regards
-Markus