[OTR-users] Re: automatic end-private on logoff?

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Oct 29 18:12:13 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 03:06:46PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> Is there any reason this can't be handled in part on the side that
> doesn't have the problem?  For instance:
>
>   Foo and Bar are talking to one another in a "private" conversation.
>
>   Foo loses its connection, then reconnects.
>
>   Bar, unaware that Foo had a momentary network hiccup, blithely sends
>   its next encrypted message.
>
>   Foo receives the message and goes "Woah, this is encrypted."
>
>   Foo contacts Bar, saying "Hey, you, reconnect with me to start a new
>   private conversation."
>
>   Bar responds, saying "Holy cow, didn't realize you dropped off.  Here's
>   the reconnect stuff.  How many encrypted messages did you receive after
>   reconnecting?"
>
>   Foo says "One that I've noticed."
>
>   Bar resends it.
>
> Voila, everyone's happy.  Obviously, this is a very high-level view of a
> re-handshake approach, and would require the clients to be able to
> recognize the difference between encrypted and unencrypted messages.

That's pretty much exactly what happens now, except that there's no
"count"; clients only remember the last message they sent.

As to having pidgin send the FINISHED message when the user chooses "Log
off": that's perfectly sensible.  It currently does it when the user
chooses "Quit".  It's just that no one's ever asked for this before.