[OTR-users] What we can expect in future? / file transfer via OTR?

Michael Reichenbach michael_reichenbach at freenet.de
Mon Nov 26 10:24:32 EST 2007

john owen-jones wrote

> Hi
> Would it be possible to modify OTR for fle transfer.
> through pidgin?
>
> What I was thinking would be to drag and drop a file.
>
> First it would be uuencoded to convert it to text.
> encoded by OTR sent as chunks over the IM network
> decoded by OTR to reassemble the uuencoded file
> and then uudecoded to recreate the original file.
>
> Possibly it could even work as a push system as long as
> your logged on friends and colleagues would be able to
> send you files direct to your desktop.
>
> any thoughts
>
> john

Imho OTR is a protocol and it`s in final version and no good idea to
change it because many clients implement it. We can`t expect the
developers from this project to add real new features, just improvements
for the security (if needed later), user support and an updated version
of their own implementation for pidgin. But the developers may give a
final verdict on this.

Sure I would love to use Pidgin also for encrypted and authenticated
file transfers. Because it does not have this feature yet we are
currently using some complicated setup with ftp over ssl. It does not
provide Deniability and Perfect forward secrecy but it`s better then no
encryption and authentication at all.

Because Deniability and Perfect forward secrecy are the main reasons for
OTR and them won`t work well with audio/video/filesend yet I think a
request for encrypted file transfers is out of scope the OTR project.
Some other project would be worth, anyone who has time may make it. :)
Would "just" need to "wrap" any Open Source server/client in a Pidgin
plugin. Any thoughts for a well designed protocol for file transfer? I
am thinking about something user friendly with nat-to-nat / proxy /
socks support. Ftp won`t work so well without open ports. Is there some
file transfer protocol where you can use free stun servers very well?