[OTR-users] Miranda-OTR-Plugin and ICQ-OTR-Proxy?

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sat Mar 31 19:18:18 EDT 2007

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 04:37:57AM +0200, Bastian Modauer wrote:
> >> it seems like the otr-proxy for icq and the otr-plugin for miranda
> >> aren't compatible?!
>
> > Should work by all means.
>
> >> if i want to start a private connection with these both accounts,
> >> i only get a failure-message.
>
> > Well, what's the message?
>
> type a message in miranda's conversation-window ("test" or something else) and send it,
> then it appears in icq 5.1, but the otr-proxy at the icq-pc doesn't show any private connection.
> so i think this message isn't encrypted.
>
> type a message in icq's conversation-window and send it,
> then it appears in miranda, but in icq it throws a message like this:
> "?OTR:AAICAAAAxElr3FDowie0iaHsxQKuNUhunCZmgrk3t7SNrTH6G49nPIoWKnzJYDL6JY7t8wjgDyVTTt5Y52zFjN2v0w7ImX6agI3ll/CX8Coj7e/iH2//QUQPIxhkVCzYGIYznmXqUCPO9GD10rMc9HINTn+IShNC7lsIJEBjdeRST08f6YAHB8dJ9PgiMr0DNcTesUDmOCHqfYpX6EB9Pm1yB6cSvYAo516vIEOL18/iNF9bvITnfMQ9Ae2CExG8r5sSPOkkOP0CjwoAAAAgZFO8xkhzzjU8G13EJjDAHqz4bAuiqGgcQP8p7LIJyJw=."

It sounds like the otr proxy isn't recognizing the message on the wire.
I suppose it's possible that the ICQ protocol has changed (I know gaim
recently split the AIM and ICQ protocols, which used to be the same).
But you say OTR works with icq+proxy <-> icq+proxy, so that doesn't seem
right either.

It definitely sounds like the problem is on the icq+proxy end, though,
and not the Miranda+plugin end.  You're positive you've got the icq
program configured correctly to talk to the proxy?  [Here's an easy way
to check: when you're logged into ICQ via the proxy, kill the proxy
program.  Your ICQ program should complain that you've been
disconnected.  If it doesn't, icq wasn't configured to talk to the
proxy.]

And just to be sure, you're using otrproxy version 0.3.1, right?  Not
0.3.0 or 0.2.x?