[OTR-users] OTR HTML formatting problem using Miranda/Gaim/more?

Scott Ellis mail at scottellis.com.au
Thu Mar 22 08:09:52 EDT 2007

yeah, you have to try to convince everyone to have a look :)

i only know that the problem is not with the miranda OTR plugin - since it
does provide an oportunity for protocol plugins to remove HTML tags, and
this is tried and tested with the implementation used by the miranda
AIMOSCAR plugin

i am tempted to trust the miranda Jabber plugin dev, as i've worked with him
a few times and trust his judgement. he is also the head developer of the
miranda project

the job of the gaim OTR plugin is pretty simple - so my guess is that the
problem is with the gaim client :)

with miranda AIM, the plugin needs to access the messages twice - the
protocol handles the network communications and so has to read the message,
and then pass it through OTR - then it needs to get the message again to
strip HTML before passing it on to the user. the reverse happens when
sending

i don't beleive the jabber plugin for miranda does that, because i think
HTML entities in messages are outside of the jabber protocol specification
(someone please correct me if i'm wrong). so the gaim client should be
stripping them before passing them to OTR when sending. i would guess that
even if they are allowed, they would need to be encoded in some way to
appear in the XML that jabber uses - which needs to be done before
encryption - and that's not happening if you're seeing them in miranda
(since miranda is not decoding them).