[OTR-users] Is Encryption Limited to Text?

readytogo2 readytogo2 at freenet.de
Tue Mar 20 08:17:13 EDT 2007

Ian Goldberg schrieb:
> At this time, OTR only protects your IM messages, not video or file
> transfer.  I believe Paul's trying to get someone to work on file
> transfer, but I don't know of anyone working on video.  The same
> mechanism (use OTR to generate session keys, and encrypt/MAC with them,
> publish the MAC key later) would work for both; you may want to rotate
> keys now and again for a long video chat.  But I have no idea what the
> video chat API looks like, since AFAIK, gaim doesn't support it yet.
Video chat is not that important (just right now!) imho. But files and
also voice are!

There is currently really no way to have encrypted pc to pc calls for
everyone (Ok, there is Zfone but it is still beta. Beta means really
beta, it`s not working very well.). That`s really sad. For everyone
means - works for most important operating systems such as windows and
linux, decent and out of the box like gaim/otr.