[OTR-users] Is Encryption Limited to Text?

Stephen Perdue lostboy.public at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 22:59:35 EDT 2007

Greetings all,

Forgive what may seem a too obvious question.  I read the OTR web
page top to bottom, browsed the last year of the list archive, and
scanned the less technical parts of the "Why Not To Use PGP" paper.

Can OTR handle any data that's passed through it (e.g. video chat,
file transfer), or is it limited specifically to text chat?

The envisioned scenario is iChat + OTR proxy on an Intel MacBook at
one end and Trillian Pro + OTR plug-in on WinXP at the other, but I'd
welcome any insights outside those conditions as well.

While I'm at it, it looks two people have reported issues running OTR
Proxy on Intel MacBooks.  Has anyone else had issues?  Can anyone
report smooth operation?

If OTR is not suitable, any other suggestions for reasonably private
video chat?  (I use Skype now but find it a bit flakey.)  I have no
expectation of selective attack, just everyday privacy concerns.  I
can live without deniability/forgeability since I'm certainly beneath
the interest of anyone with the resources to convincingly forge video.

Thanks for reading my question,

Stephen Perdue