[OTR-users] Request for review of Encryption Guide

readytogo2 readytogo2 at freenet.de
Sun Mar 4 18:05:04 EST 2007

If you want feedback here better provide a link with a website so people
here don`t need to download something.

You have E-Mail and IM. But there are more ways to communicate. Just
some hints to improve:
- email (pgp by pgp corp and why use openpgp instant (why use os instant))
- telephone (no way for serios encryption for end costumers)
- voip (firewall problems, to many people are behind a router with nat
and not able to open ports, zfone, unusable for end costumers right now
no way to encrypt)
- pc to pc (non voip, example Skype, "encrypted" (closed source),
hardcore obsfucated code, famos because it`s easy and supports good
firewall workarround thought p2p, spyware, security concerns)
- instant messenger chats can be encrypted with pgp aswell (psi, pgp,
why you otr instant)
- otr (very rarly used, no reviews by "encryption god`s")
- otr gaim <-> miranda <-> trillian incompatible problems (barce problem)
- trillian is closed source
- no one seamed to check the source of miranda/trillian otr right now so
I won`t suggest using it
- gaim encryption (difference to otr, reviews?, use otr or gaim encryption?)
- SSL
- sensitive tasks like online banking
- "free webmail account", very bad idea to link to google, google is
known for data miming and has a monopol (search engine), no need to
support it`s monpol
- "Why shall I use encryption if I have nothing to hide?"