[OTR-users] otr-proxy and iChat

galenz at zinkconsulting.com galenz at zinkconsulting.com
Sun Mar 4 17:01:23 EST 2007

I've had a terrible time with this as well, particularly after
migrating to a MacBook. I couldn't even get a native x86 version to
build and nobody on the list bothered to post any responses. Aside
from countless bugs / strange behaviors, particularly prevalent under
x86, simply having a single PPC app open on an x86-based Mac results
in significantly increased memory usage.

I ultimately did a manual migration of my information into Adium.
That has been acceptable, but overall, Adium suffers from excessive
flexibility and lots of strange behaviors. At least file transfers
work these days. The only advantage to Adium is integrated OTR, tabs,
support for multiple IM networks and possibly the auto-accept file
transfer function. The GUI is super-customizable, but utterly lacking
in polish and simplicity.

I have considered writing a script to automate the migration from OTR
Proxy.app to Adium, and possibly back again.

-Galen