[OTR-users] OTR and CHAT question

Jiann-Ming Su sujiannming at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 16:21:43 EST 2007

On 1/25/07, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Also, c2s encryption doesn't provide deniability and does not
> necessarily provide PFS....
>
> Further, "necessary" is an individual judgement (which should be)
> based on threat models and costs, and it therefore doesn't make any
> sense at all to make general statements about what is necessary.
>
> I use OTR even though I run my own jabber servers and use TLS to it,
> and transport-mode IPsec between servers.  You might choose to as well
> if you noticed the black helicopters that follow you around :-)

How do you protect the OTR keys from unauthorized use?  When I
initiate an OTR chat now, I'm not asked for any authentication from
the private keys.  What happens if a trusted user's laptop gets
stolen, or his workstation gets compromised?  Can't the
intruder/untrusted user start a trusted/verfied OTR chat session?
--
Jiann-Ming Su
"The system's broke, Hank.  The election baby has peed in