[OTR-users] Gaim OTR is only for' geeks', to complicated for regular users, suggestion.....

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Feb 20 23:32:43 EST 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, readytogo2 wrote:

> It`s simple if you already convinced of gaim to install otr. But it`s
> not so user friendly to change from icq to gaim. Gaim is confusing

Sure. People have started work on Trillian and Miranda plugins for OTR.
Most OTR developers are not Windows users, so this item is a bit up to
those who have an interest in not switching to gaim.exe.

> > Setting up a proxy is not the way to solve it? Secway's product uses a

> Well. Yes and No. Simp works as a proxy but the user don`t even need to
> know what a proxy is.

To me, the proxy is useless because it does not support MSN, and that's
the number 1 protocol used in Europe. It's only North America where everyone
uses AIM/ICQ. If the proxy supported MSN, I would sit down and make a nice
otrproxy installer for Windows with a small note on how to use it.

And if we are voicing our wishes, gaim-tui support and otrproxy with ncurses
support would rock too. And someone should fix proxy support in bitlbee so
it works with otrproxy.

Paul