[OTR-users] pidgin-otr doesn't show in the plugins list after compiling on Xandros Linux

Patrick Hall deepside at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 30 06:17:48 EST 2007

The brief summary:
The machine is an ASUS EEE, running the stock OS, which appears to be a Xandros/Debian Etch hybrid.  It came with Pidgin 2.0.x.

I installed (with apt-get) the various required packages, as well as the optional spelling, GnuTLS, and gstreaming packages.

I compiled Pidgin 2.3.1 - it works just fine.  I was impressed by the descriptive error messages for missing packages.

I compiled libotr.

I compiled pidgin-otr.

While the pidgin-otr appears in my /usr heirarchy as expected, I do not see Off The Record listed in my Pidgin Plugins list, even after restarting, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, rebooting entirely, and recompiling Pidgin and rebooting, just in case.

All compilation and configuration was done with sudo, i.e. as root.