[OTR-users] logging proxy

Mark Price markprice at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 16:09:11 EDT 2006

On 10/6/06, pb <xrayspecscu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>      Perhaps a glitch in the mail system.  Just in case it didn't go to
> one of the OTR development team, I'm a subscriber to the mail list.
>      As long as you did write, what's your take on the app?  Do you use
> Linux?

I posted here because sometimes dev lists prefer that wish list items from
users going to the -users list.
I have not ever used that app, finding it unecessary to proxy OTR when I
have the gaim plugin installed on every computer I use.  However, it would
be of great interest to me if authentication, logging and support for an
encrypted transport (encrypted socks or what have you) between the client
and proxy were added.  Since authentication is in the works, and encrypted
transport may be already there for all I know, I thought I'd try the waters.

Yes, I use linux and windows both extensively on the desktop.

My big chat problem is that I like to keep chats for documentation (work) or
just to remember good conversations, but I use several computers in the
course of any given week, which makes harvesting all of my chat logs
onerous.  I must not be the only one with this problem, but it does seem to
be a currently unaddressed problem.

google talk has addressed it, but 1. I have lots of friends on AIM, and 2. I
don't like storing chats on google's servers.  Chat is more private than
email.  That is why I use OTR in the first place, whereas I do not use pgp
for email.

There is a version of gaim being distributed that runs off a thumbdrive, but
come on.   Carry a thumb drive (that I might misplace, with all my
unencrypted chat logs) every where I go?

     I've had wifi DHCP fail to grab an IP in Linux Scientific (my personal