[OTR-users] wmiprvse.exe process

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sat Jul 29 09:18:36 EDT 2006

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 05:48:34AM +0200, Alessandro Nontelodico wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question:
> When an encrypted conversation start (windows xp sp2) start also (ever)in
> the same moment (i can see this with processguard) a process called
> wmiptvse.exe.  I'm asking if this is normal and if there are risk for the
> security (and the privacy) of the encrypted conversation.

Do you mean wmiprvse.exe?  Google suggest that's a normal Windows
process (though I'd never heard of it before, not being a Windows user
myself).  I have no idea why it would choose to start when you start an
encrypted session, unless it's triggered by libgcrypt's gathering of
random entropy from system events.